Mother’s Little Poisoner: L’Wren Scott and a Classic Modus Operandi — (

To view original article click here

April 6, 2014

On March 17th L’Wren Scott hung herself in her Manhattan apartment. She hung herself from a door handle. Hanging with your feet or body on the ground is a classic antidepressant MO when it comes to suicide.

Hanging in this way led Pfizer to claim that Matt Miller, a 13 year old boy, hadn’t committed suicide but had died from auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong. It has led people in Bridgend and Wales to speculate on the influence of Satanic cults to explain the rash of bizarre suicides there.

What happens is this. Antidepressants trigger thoughts of self-harm. These thoughts can vary from the mild to the malignant. The drugs can trigger thoughts like this in perfectly normal people, who have rarely if ever thought of harming themselves. Partly because these are such unfamiliar thoughts, someone like Matt Miller, Yvonne Woodley or L’Wren Scott can play with them by attaching a noose around their neck and leaning forward to see what it would be like. But leaning forward like this can put pressure on the carotid bodies, cause a person to lose consciousness, slip forward and asphyxiate.

The Rolling Stones

The New York Post may have had things exactly wrong when they reported it as follows:

“Mick Jagger’s longtime lover didn’t take any chances when she hanged herself, law-enforcement sources told The Post on Tuesday. L’Wren Scott — whose death prompted the Rolling Stones to postpone a nearly sold-out tour of Australia and New Zealand — wrapped a tie around her neck before using a black satin scarf to hang herself from a door handle in her swanky Manhattan apartment on Monday morning, sources said. “The necktie would apply more pressure,” a source said. “She must have figured that if the scarf wasn’t long enough or something, then the necktie would choke her out.” “She clearly wanted to do the job right,” the source added.

Left Behind

It looks highly likely L’Wren was on antidepressants. If she had recently stopped, withdrawal effects can also trigger suicide. We don’t know what Mick Jagger feels about L’Wren or the possibility that her death might be linked to medication.

We do know about lots of other lovers, parents or children left behind after a suicide, heart attack or other drug induced injury. There are several mantras repeated time and again:

  • If I knew then what I know now I would have done things so differently.
  • Until it happens to you you don’t believe it could happen.
  • Why can no-one else see what is happening.

The answer is that it’s a cultural issue. And here is where Mick Jagger could make a big difference.

Little Helper to Little Poisoner

In the 1960s when the song Mother’s Little Helper came out we were on the verge of an historic transformation. The chemicals that we use as medicines that had up till then been viewed as poisons were about to become fertilizers. But this has not been a transformation of Ugly Sisters into Princesses; it has close to destroyed medicine.

Up to the mid-1960s the art of medicine lay in using poisons to bring about cures, thereby saving our lives, marriages and jobs in miraculous fashion. Since the 1960s, good marketing has made pills seem miraculous bringers of benefits and company marketing is now geared to help patients get around doctors who may be slow to prescribe.

When we used poisons to achieve miracles, both we and our doctors knew there was a very real risk that things could go wrong. When things did go wrong, the person was not as shocked and isolated as we are now – we didn’t live then in communities where others were unaware that things might go wrong. We could smell the coffee – we weren’t asleep.

But now when treated with Miracle-Gro, we are profoundly shocked when someone loses a job, a marriage or a life because of the effects of the chemical they have taken.

Anthem for the Doomed

Mother’s Little Helper marks a point where attitudes were changing. Miracle Gro is on the horizon but there is still a hint that Little Helpers don’t necessarily lead to good outcomes. What has produced this transformation? It’s not that the chemicals have become safer – they haven’t. They have got riskier and riskier as companies have realized they can get away with more.

The black magic dust that has turned poisons into fertilizers lies in randomized controlled trials (RCTs). These came into being as a means to test whether fertilizers worked. It’s far from clear that they can be safely applied to medicines but no-one wants to hear this message.

You cannot run an RCT without hypnotizing doctors to ignore everything except what the company testing a drug wants them to see. As a result the doctors running trials miss any number of elephants in the room. The trials launder risks and generate ignorance. And to compound the problem, when afterwards experts like those in the Cochrane Centre say that RCTs offer us gold standard evidence about drugs, we become ignorant about our ignorance.

L’Wren to Ivan Lopez

Medicines can do no wrong as the shootings last week at Fort Hood show. Lt. General Mark Milley, the post commander, has stated the fundamental underlying causal factor for the shootings was Spc. Lopez’s mental illness. He suffered apparently from an unstable mental or psychological condition – even though he had only just recently had his first mental health treatment contact and only recently started treatment. Nevertheless the media locked onto this and made that its mantra.

Any questions about adverse drug responses by reporters have been discounted by every “expert” brought on board. This is close to psychotic. If Lopez was so ill that his illness was likely to cause the problem, he should not have been in service. If he was able to work, the scientific evidence suggests his drug was more likely to cause the problem.

A New Anthem for Doomed Youth Needed

Mother’s Little Helper was a potent marker of changing times. The growing army of people who are isolated and alienated by drug induced injuries or left behind in the wake of an injury need a new anthem now. If ever we needed a Band to catch the mood of the people, it’s now. Mother’s Little Poisoner. Or perhaps Donovan’s Universal Soldier recreated as Universal Crash Test Dummy.

Gunman in Fort Hood shooting had behavioral issues, authorities say — (The Washington Post)

For original article click here

The Washington Post

By Rajiv Chandrasekaran, Adam Goldman and Sari Horwitz,

Published: April 2 | Updated: Thursday, April 3

An Iraq war veteran who was grappling with mental health issues opened fire at Fort Hood, Tex., in an attack that left four people dead and 16 wounded Wednesday afternoon, according to preliminary law enforcement and military reports. The gunfire sent tremors of fear across a sprawling Army post still reeling from one of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history.

Many basic details about the shooting remained unclear in the chaotic hours after the first calls for help around 4 p.m., but senior U.S. law enforcement officials said the incident did not appear to be linked to any foreign terrorist organizations. The shooter was among those who died, the officials said.

The officials identified the shooter as Army Spec. Ivan Lopez, 34, a military truck driver, who was dressed in his standard-issue green camouflage uniform. Lopez opened fire in two locations on the vast central Texas post, inside a building housing the 1st Medical Brigade and in a facility belonging to the 49th Transportation Battalion.

Police spent Wednesday night searching his apartment in Killeen, the city that abuts the Army facility. Gen. Mark A. Milley, the commander of Fort Hood, said the soldier, whom he did not identify by name, served four months in Iraq in 2011.

Milley said the shooter “had behavioral health and mental health issues.” He said the soldier, who self-reported a traumatic brain injury and was taking anti-depressants, had been under examination to determine whether he had post-traumatic stress disorder. “We are digging deep into his background,” Milley said.

Milley said the soldier opened fire with a .45-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol that was purchased recently but was not authorized to be brought on the post. He was eventually confronted by a female military police officer. He put his hands up but then pulled out a gun from under his jacket. “She engaged,” Milley said, and then the soldier put the gun to his head and shot himself.

The shooting was the third major gun attack at a U.S. military installation in five years, leaving the nation grappling with the prospect of yet more flag-draped funerals for troops killed on the homefront. A government contractor went on a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard in September, leaving 12 people dead. In 2009, Army Maj. Nidal M. Hasan opened fire on a group of soldiers at Fort Hood preparing to deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan, killing 13 people and wounding more than 30.

Doctors at the Scott & White hospital in Temple, Tex., said Wednesday that they have treated eight of the wounded and that one more was on the way. Three of the patients were in critical condition in the ICU, and five were in serious condition. Seven of them were male, and one was female. Their injuries ranged from mild to life-threatening, a majority of them caused by single-gunshot wounds to the neck, chest and abdomen.

President Obama said he was “heartbroken that something like this might have happened again.” Speaking during a fundraising trip to Chicago, he pledged “to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.”

Although bases such as Fort Hood contain large storehouses of armaments, and many of their inhabitants have spent years at war, military posts are usually among the most idyllic communities in the country, a throwback to the 1950s, with manicured lawns, drivers who conscientiously abide by the speed limit and parents unafraid to allow their children to frolic out of sight.

In the wake of the Navy Yard shooting, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered a series of security changes at military installations, including more rigorous screening of personnel and the creation of an analysis center to examine “insider threats.”

“When we have these kinds of tragedies on our bases, something’s not working,” he said Wednesday evening during a visit to Hawaii. “We will continue to address the issue. Anytime you lose your people to these kinds of tragedies, it’s an issue, it’s a problem.”

Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that many questions remained about the shooting but that a principal initial focus was to support the victims and their families. “This is a community that has faced and overcome crises with resilience and strength,” he said in a statement.

Soldiers based at Fort Hood were called upon, often repeatedly, to deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan over the past decade. Those combat tours have exacted a profound physical and emotional toll on many troops. Others have rebounded quickly and are continuing their military careers or are transitioning into the civilian world.

Dozens of ambulances and law enforcement vehicles converged on the scene after the shooting. Several of the wounded were transported to area hospitals.

The post was placed on lockdown for much of the afternoon, with loudspeakers across the facility urging people to shelter in place. The order applied to thousands of families that live on the base. The order was lifted in the early evening, once law enforcement authorities had determined that a sole gunman was responsible for the shooting.

With the exception of military police officers, soldiers at Fort Hood and all other U.S. military installations are not armed or permitted to carry privately owned firearms. The restrictions on personal weapons were expanded in the wake of the 2009 massacre and an epidemic of suicides at Fort Hood, which is the largest active-duty armored post in the country. Current policy requires soldiers to register their personal weapons with their commanders and to keep those weapons in a secured room.

Hasan was convicted of multiple counts of murder last year and sentenced to death. He is on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.

Hasan, who worked at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington from 2003 to 2006, had been due to deploy to Afghanistan within weeks of the attack. At his trial, prosecutors presented evidence of his meticulous planning. The Army major and psychiatrist chose the most high-tech, high-capacity weapon available at a gun store in Killeen, Tex., and trained himself at a local firing range before giving away some of his belongings on the day of the shooting.

Shortly after 1 p.m. on Nov. 5, 2009, Hasan walked into Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Processing Center with two guns, shouted “Allahu akbar!” or “God is great,” and opened fire. He unleashed more than 200 rounds.

Twelve of the people who were killed were soldiers waiting for medical tests; the other was a civilian who tried to tackle the psychiatrist. Hasan was left paralyzed from the chest down after being shot by an Army police officer.

The shootings exposed a number of failings by the Defense Department, which a Pentagon report concluded was unprepared for internal threats. On one occasion, Hasan gave a presentation to senior Army doctors in which he discussed Islam and suicide bombers and warned that Muslims should be allowed to leave the armed forces as conscientious objectors to avoid “adverse events.”

Among those on the facility Wednesday was Matt Lausch, the chief of the Manassas, Va., volunteer fire department. He was working on his company’s contract to build a hospital on the grounds when the alert system warned the base to “seek shelter immediately.”

Lausch, who remained in a construction trailer, said a flood of emergency personnel could be seen and heard streaming across the post.

“There was a huge, huge response by police and first responders,” Lausch said. He and co-workers learned of the shooting from social media feeds once they locked themselves in the trailer.

Craig Whitlock, Mark Berman, Carol D. Leonnig, Ernesto Londoño, Clarence Williams and Julie Tate contributed to this report. 


To view original article click here

U.S. |​NYT Now

Iraq Veteran at Fort Hood Kills 3 and Himself in Rampage

New York Times


KILLEEN, Tex. — A soldier who was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder opened fire at Fort Hood on Wednesday, killing three people and wounding 16 before killing himself, the authorities said. The shooting set off a huge police response and shut down the sprawling Army base, the same facility where a deadly rampage by an officer resulted in 13 deaths in 2009.

Fort Hood’s commanding general said the gunman, an Army specialist who had served in Iraq and was being treated for behavioral and mental health issues, had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The commander, Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley, told reporters that the soldier’s motive remained unclear, but that the shooting did not appear to be related to terrorism.

 A Pentagon official said the suspected gunman was Army Specialist Ivan Lopez. General Milley, while not identifying Specialist Lopez by name, said the gunman had served four months in Iraq in 2011 and was being evaluated for post-traumatic stress disorder, but had not yet been diagnosed with the condition. There were indications that he had self-reported a traumatic brain injury when he returned from Iraq, General Milley said.

Reports of the shooting sent dozens of local, state and federal law enforcement officials rushing to the base in Killeen as they had in November 2009. In Chicago, President Obama said that White House and Pentagon officials were following the events closely. “We are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened,” the president said. “We’re heartbroken something like this might have happened again.”

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, said that many questions remained but that officials’ focus was on supporting the victims and their families. “This is a community that has faced and overcome crises with resilience and strength,” he said in a statement.

The episode appeared to have unfolded around 4:30 p.m. at a medical support building. Witnesses described chaos as gunshots rang out.

The base was put on lockdown, as Army officials took to Twitter and Facebook to alert soldiers there to shelter in place and stay away from windows. The injured were transported to Fort Hood’s medical center and other area hospitals.

The authorities said Specialist Lopez appeared to have walked into one building, then gone inside a vehicle and fired shots from the vehicle with a .45-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol that had recently been bought in the Killeen area. He got out of the vehicle, walked into another building and opened fire again, and then engaged with a female military police officer before shooting himself.

He put his hands up, General Milley said, then reached under his jacket. The female officer pulled out her weapon, and then Specialist Lopez put his weapon to his head and fired. General Milley described the officer’s actions as “clearly heroic,” adding: “She did her job. She did exactly what we would expect of U.S. Army military police.”

Specialist Lopez had arrived at Fort Hood in February from another installation, officials said.

Scott and White Memorial Hospital in nearby Temple, Tex., said it had received eight patients and expected one more. Three victims were in critical condition, and five others were expected to be upgraded from serious to fair condition overnight. The injuries included gunshot wounds to the abdomen, chest and neck.

Tayra Dehart, 33, stood outside the visitor center at Fort Hood’s main gate Wednesday evening, anxiously awaiting word from her husband of 10 months, a 30-year-old sergeant who was caught in the lockdown.

“I jumped out my skin,” Ms. Dehart said, telling of her reaction when she heard the news of the shootings from the couple’s home nearby. Declining to give her husband’s name for security reasons, Ms. Dehart said she had immediately sped to the base and had been trying unsuccessfully to reach her husband on his cellphone.

“I’m like a waiting bird,” she said in describing her vigil just inside the base gate.

After a tense wait of more than three hours, she finally heard from him and said he was safe.

‘I want my chips!’ Furious mother who set FIRE to kebab shop because it closed before she could get her late-night takeaway is jailed for two years—(Daily Mail)

To view original article click here.

Daily Mail


PUBLISHED: 09:35, 1 April 2014 | UPDATED: 10:09, 1 April 2014

A furious mum who set fire to a kebab shop because it closed before she could get her chips has been jailed for 28 months.

Danielle Miles, 26, rang Zorba’s takeaway to order her late-night meal at 10pm after she’d been out drinking, a court heard yesterday.

But the mum-of-three did not arrive to collect her food until nearly 11.20pm – minutes after the kebab shop closed.

Ipswich Crown Court heard Miles then stood outside screaming ‘I want my chips’ and threatening to set the town centre takeaway shop alight.

Godfried Duah, prosecuting, told the court that Miles then pushed burning paper through the letterbox.

Members of staff who lived at the kebab shop in Saxmundham, Suffolk, saw Miles laughing.

Mr Duah said an employee rushed to put out the fire as she ran off.

The incident caused £50 damage to the door on November 11, the court heard.

Prosecutors said lives would have been put at risk if the fire had spread to neighbouring properties or if gas canisters near the front door had been ignited.

Miles, of Saxmundham, admitted arson being reckless as to whether lives would be endangered and was jailed for 28 months.

Workers at Zorba’s kebas had to run to put out the fire, which caused £50 worth of damage

Roger Thomson, defending, said Miles has three children aged five and under and she deeply regretted what she had done.

Mr Thomson said Miles had been drinking regularly and using cannabis but had cut down on both since launching the arson attack.

He accepted Miles had set fire to the door and hurled abuse at workers inside as they watched her.

‘It was done in their sight and there was no chance of it succeeding,’ stressed Mr Thomson.

He said Miles had been on medication for depression at the time.

The kebab shop’s owners have said they suffered from a spate of vandalism attacks from late-night drinkers.

In January this year, they even offered a reward of ‘kebabs for life’ for information about who had vandalised their outlet in nearby Framlingham.

Brilliant young scientist, 25, hanged herself after suffering homesickness and loneliness when she emigrated to Britain from New Zealand—(Daily Mail)

To view original article click here.

Daily Mail


PUBLISHED: 09:53, 31 March 2014 | UPDATED: 15:03, 31 March 2014

Dr Isobel Maxwell-Cameron had just gained an organic chemistry research post at the University of Manchester – but struggled when laboratory experiments failed and found it was not the job for her.

After a failed suicide attempt, the 25-year-old – who had a history of depression – was found dead in the bathroom of her apartment in Salford when her mother alerted Greater Manchester Police.

Death: Dr Isobel Maxwell-Cameron, 25, had just gained an organic chemistry research post in Manchester

She had been due to start a new project management role in the research group just two days later, and left a ‘to-do’ list on the kitchen table – which included taking her hamster back to the pet shop and discussing her work future.

Dr Maxwell-Cameron excelled in her studies and received a PhD in organic chemistry from the University of Otago in her home town of Auckland in October 2013 and decided to emigrate 11,500 miles to the UK to further her career.

She travelled to the Republic of Ireland with her research group to deliver a presentation at the prestigious University of Dublin which was extremely well received.

Outside work, Dr Maxwell-Cameron enjoyed karate, rowing, acrobatics and fire dancing – but she struggled with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, depression and anxiety for a number of years, and was receiving treatment.

At an inquest in Bolton, Greater Manchester, a statement was read from her mother Priscilla Cameron, who was unable to fly over from New Zealand.

She said Dr Maxwell-Cameron never did things by halves, but wanted to come back to New Zealand due to struggles with work and the recent death of her grandfather in the country.

Mrs Cameron added: ‘She was passionate about science. When she got the job in England she was so anxious about moving from a small city to a large city on the other side of the world. But she was very outgoing and friendly and expecting to make new friends.

‘She managed her depression by always having a hobby outside of study. Some family friends knew about her struggles but others didn’t. She had a great sense of humour and fun.’

Despite protestations from her family, Dr Maxwell-Cameron chose to live alone in England and after her grandfather died in November last year, would regularly tell her mother over phone or Skype that she was suffering badly from depression.

She had tried to hang herself on January 5, but failed.  She then continued to work the following week without mentioning to colleagues the personal turmoil she was enduring and appeared to be ‘very friendly, lively and bubbly’ when they went out for a drink.

Change: The 25-year-old moved from Auckland (left) in New Zealand to Salford (right) in Greater Manchester

Mrs Cameron said: ‘She was alone at Christmas, she seemed a bit low. On January 6 she called me to say she had tried to hang herself the night before. I didn’t realise how quickly she could go to that.

‘She said she was feeling the worse she had ever felt.’ She saw a psychiatrist after contacting her mother and was prescribed anti-depressants which seemed to be working.

Mrs Cameron said: ‘She found high failure rates in experimental work difficult to deal with. She then got offered work outside the lab.

‘On Saturday evening she was down again and wanting to come home. I was surprised by her rapid switch and told her not to rush decisions. The offer of different work seemed like a good start.’

‘She called me to say she had tried to hang herself the night before. I didn’t realise how quickly she could go to that’

Mrs Cameron offered to call her daughter on Saturday night, New Zealand time, but she declined, saying a mental health crisis team were paying her a visit in the morning.

After calling and texting her daughter the following day with no response, Mrs Cameron called Greater Manchester Police suspecting the worse, and an officer discovered her body that night on January 11.

Her mother added: ‘I regret not encouraging her to come home and not calling her on Saturday night.’

Healthcare support worker Wendy Higham, who was helping counsel Dr Maxwell-Cameron after her failed suicide attempt, visited her apartment on the day of her death.

Miss Higham said: ‘She was very warm and pleasant. She invited me in and asked me to sit down. She said she had plans for the evening to watch some TV and so some knitting.

‘She was saying the next day she might start going to the gym. There was no change from when I saw her the day before. We fixed a meeting for her to see my colleague the following afternoon.’
Science: Dr Maxwell-Cameron had been due to start a new project management role in her research group at the University of Manchester (pictured) just two days after her death

Recording a narrative verdict, Manchester West Coroner Alan Walsh said: ‘She was a very well-educated, intelligent woman and appears to have been a very outgoing person with friends.

‘From the evidence I have heard, even though it may have been different in her mind she appears to have been working very well and was successful within the research team.

‘I accept that she was uncertain about her future in chemistry and she was a little disillusioned with regard to her chosen discipline and also the fact of her involvement with a research team within that discipline.

‘I find her death to be an enormous tragedy. A young, talented, intelligent, vibrant young lady who came to England from New Zealand believing she was going to further her education by contributing in terms of research to projects that might benefit others’

Alan Walsh, Manchester West Coroner

‘She would go out for a drink and when she was out she was vibrant and someone who was part of the social gathering but more than that very alive in the way she enjoyed herself.

‘Her colleagues thought something was not quite right but were not aware of her previous medical history. She had a previous history of diagnosed depression.

‘She didn’t talk about depression to her work colleagues or those she socialised with. She didn’t warn anybody about what she was about to do and there was no contact with her mother which is significant in my mind.

‘The attempt on the 5th was a spontaneous act at night when she was on her own. That is not dissimilar to what happened on the 11th. In these lonely times and lonely occasions at night the depression would be a factor that is important.

‘I find her death to be an enormous tragedy. A young, talented, intelligent, vibrant young lady who came to England from New Zealand believing she was going to further her education by contributing in terms of research to projects that might benefit others.

‘For her to die in these circumstances in an apartment in Salford is something that would have been beyond the imagination of her family in New Zealand. It is a tragedy of utmost proportion. I am greatly saddened by the loss of such talent.’

  • For confidential support call the Samaritans in the UK on 08457 90 90 90, visit a local Samaritans branch or click here for details



Accused in York student’s death had anti-psychotic medication, murder trial hears — (The Globe and Mail)

To view original article click here

The Globe and Mail

Allison Jones, Toronto — The Canadian Press


A man charged with first-degree murder in the death of a York University student from China had both anti-psychotic and anti-depressant medication on him when he was arrested, a jury heard Thursday.

Brian Dickson was arrested about a week after Qian Liu, 23, was found dead in her off-campus apartment, mostly naked and face down on the floor.

As a tenant in the same building and someone who matched the description of a man Liu’s ex-boyfriend saw on her webcam shortly before she died, Dickson was interviewed by police on April 19, 2011.

Detective Sergeant Frank Skubic testified Thursday that Mr. Dickson was arrested the next day, after results from DNA tests gave Skubic “reasonable grounds” to believe Dickson was responsible for Liu’s death.

There were a number of medications in Dickson’s room, and when Dickson was arrested he had anti-psychotic medication, a drug typically used for depression or anxiety and one that reduces the production of stomach acid, Skubic said under cross-examination from Dickson’s lawyer, Robert Nuttall.

Dickson has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder, but his lawyer has told the jury he’ll be urging a finding of manslaughter.

The jury on Thursday watched Dickson’s 3 1/2-hour interview with Skubic, in which he admitted he was briefly in Liu’s room the night before her body was found.

Liu had been chatting with her ex-boyfriend in China via webcam when some time after 1 a.m. he saw Liu answer a knock on the door to a man who tried to hug her then forced his way inside and shoved her off camera, the Crown has said.

He heard two muffled bangs and the last image he saw was the man turning off the computer while naked from the waist down, the Crown alleges.

He then logged into Liu’s account and sent frantic messages to her contacts, the trial has heard.

Yang Qiao, one of Liu’s fellow students in a preparatory program, said she saw the message around 2 a.m.

“She was asking for help,” Qiao testified Thursday. “It said Qian Liu is in danger. Can someone else help her? Call the police.”

Dickson only met Liu a month prior, when he was doing laundry, which was located outside her room in the basement, he told Skubic in the interview.

“She was very friendly,” Dickson said. “She was a very sweet person. …That was my first impression, that she’s nice. You could tell.”

On the night in question they chatted about cooking at around 10 p.m. as Dickson put clothes in the washing machine and he was briefly inside her room, he said.

He then left the building to go to a restaurant on campus, he said, and told Skubic several times that people could verify he was there. Dickson got home around 12:30 a.m. and went downstairs to put his clothing in the dryer, but he didn’t see Liu, he said.

He had taken the drug Seroquel as a sleep aid around 11:40 p.m. so he could fall asleep soon after he got home, Dickson said. Skubic asked how much alcohol he had consumed that evening and Dickson said he had three beers at home then a pitcher of beer at the restaurant.

A server at the restaurant testified Thursday that Dickson was there until closer to 1 a.m.

She served him two pints of beer, but as he was a regular customer she would have allowed him to pour his own beer from time to time, she said. His bill came to $10 and he said he would pay her back the next time, she testified.

Dickson estimated he fell asleep five minutes after going to bed, but he complained to Skubic that despite having taken the sleeping pill he was awoken several times by other residents of the house using the kitchen, stairs and front door. He only left his room once, around 5 a.m., to use the washroom and turn off the kitchen light, Dickson said.

Dickson speaks quietly, almost inaudibly, through much of the interview, and professes a desire to help with the investigation. He considers calling a lawyer, after Skubic reads him his rights for a second time following Dickson’s admission he was outside Liu’s room around 12:30 a.m., but he ultimately decides against it.

‘Boris Berezovsky was a broken man’: Inquest into death of Russian oligarch hears he had been devastated at losing a multi-billion pound legal battle with Roman Abramovich — (Daily Mail)

To view original article click here

Daily Mail

By Lizzie Edmonds

PUBLISHED: 16:06 GMT, 26 March 2014

  • Boris Berezovsky, 67, found dead at luxury property in Ascot last year
  • At inquest today, his bodyguard said he was ‘very low’ before his death
  • Added he was acting strangely and regularly spoke of suicide
  • Death came months after he lost legal battle with billionaire Abramovich
  • Bodyguard’s wife said Mr Berezovsky ‘looked broken’ following case

Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky was a ‘broken man’ after losing a multi-billion pound legal battle with Chelsea Football Club owner Roman Abramovich, his inquest has heard.

Mr Berezovsky, 67, was found dead by his bodyguard at his ex-wife’s luxury property in Ascot, Berkshire, on March 23 last year.

His death came months after his lengthy private litigation case with billionaire Mr Abramovich ended in defeat – costing him millions of pounds and altering his personality, the hearing was told.

Avi Navama, Mr Berezovsky’s bodyguard of six years, told the inquest at Windsor Guildhall that he was ‘very low’ and ‘depressed’ in the last four months of his life but seemed ‘different’ in the final two days before he died.

Speaking of when he last saw him, the night before he died, Mr Navama said: ‘He looked at me with very low, tired eyes. Like he doesn’t know what to do.’

He said that later that night he collected Mr Berezovsky’s son, Gleb, from school and got a text from his boss thanking him, which he thought ‘strange’.

Mr Navama’s wife, Zoe Watson, also described changes in Mr Berezovsky’s behaviour – saying  ‘he looked broken’ and ‘was having panic attacks and heart palpitations’ after the case with Mr Abramovich.

However, Ms Besharova, Mr Berezovsky’s former wife insisted she did not think the tycoon was going to end his own life.

Later, Michael Cotlick, Mr Berezovsky’s legal adviser, said tycoon had spoken of suicide since October 2012 – but he had not taken him seriously. He also played down the impact the Ambramocivh trial had on the tycoon.

Police confirmed the Russian’s cause of death was ‘consistent with hanging’.

Detectives said today they found a fingerprint on the shower rail in Boris Berezovsky’s bathroom, the coroner heard.

No note was found at the scene, officers said, before confirming his death was treated as ‘unexplained’ at first.

The inquest, heard in front of Berkshire Coroner Peter Bedford, continues tomorrow.

 In a witness statement read before the court, the bodyguard’s wife Mrs Watson said: ‘The Mr Berezovsky I knew was a dynamic, larger than life personality who became someone who withdrew into himself and became a shell of the man I once knew.’

She said the former Kremlin insider had been a ‘welcoming, very generous and kind’ man before the court case – which found in favour of Mr Abramovich over a £3 billion debt dispute.

She said following the case, employees at the Ascot estate became concerned about the impact the case would have on them, speaking of concerns for their jobs in the wake of the legal battle’s crippling effect on Mr Berezovsky’s fortune.

The former bodyguard of Boris Berezovsky, Avi Navama (left) arrives for the inquest into the death of his boss today. He told the Coroner the tycoon (right) was ‘very low’ in the days before his death

Elizaveta Berezovskaya, daughter of the tycoon arrives for the inquest. Today, his bodyguard spoke of the moment he found his former employer dead at his ex-wife’s home in Ascot

In her statement, Mrs Watson said her concerns deepened on a trip with her husband and his employer to Israel.

The hearing was told: ‘Mr Berezovsky regularly went to his room. His head was in his hands. He was pale and shaking.

‘He looked broken. I saw he was taking strong anti-depressant medicine. He was having panic attacks and heart palpitations.’


Mystery continues to surround the death of Mr Berezovsky as a paramedic who attended him yesterday described the ‘strange’ and ‘unusual’ scene on  discovering his body.

John Pocock said: ‘Normally when we go to patients in those circumstances they tend to be quite pale. I felt that the colour was quite a deep purple colour.’

He said he became suspicious as he did not believe the shower rail to have been strong enough to support the tycoon’s body and he found him to be lying in too neat a position for someone who had hanged themselves.

‘I decided this was a suspicious death, a potential crime scene and asked the bodyguard to move away,’ he said.

Mr Pocock also told how his personal radiation alarm began to sound when he was at the scene and he was warned to get off the property. But chemical sweeps came up negative.

The inquest also heard that detectives have been unable to identify a fingerprint found on the shower rail.

Mrs Watson said she had become aware Mr Berezovsky had discussed suicide with one of his children at that time.

Mr Bedford said he acknowledged that the witness had only met her husband’s employer ‘about eight times’, and added: ‘Her knowledge of Mr Berezovsky is very limited but it is interesting to note the change of personality.’

Mr Navama said today his boss had talked frankly and openly about suicide.

The witness said: ‘He was very down. I realised he was depressed. I was very concerned that he would do something to himself.

The bodyguard said that ahead of losing the court battle with Mr Abramovich, Mr Berezovsky was a ‘very active person, very dynamic’.

‘He didn’t sleep much,’ he added. ‘After the verdict Mr Berezovsky was very depressed. He took, as far as I know, anti-depressants.

‘His routine changed completely. He used to stay inside all the time in his room.’

Asked by the coroner whether Mr Berezovsky’s mental health was a consequence of the fall-out from the Abramovich case, Mr Navama said: ‘It was the trigger of the change. There were several things that Mr Berezovsky said had litigations against him.

‘He told me he was in minus £200 million that he can’t pay to people. He would say he’s not a billionaire, he’s the poorest man in the world.’

Mr Navama dismissed suggestions put by the coroner on behalf of Mr Berezovsky’s family that the bodyguard had exaggerated their relationship.

He also described how his employer’s mental state ‘fluctuated’.

Mr Navama said: ‘Two months prior, Mr Berezovsky called me and said “good morning, I’m back to normal”.

Oligarch Boris Berezovsky leaves the High Court in London. The inquest heard how the man was ‘depressed’ after he lost a multi-million pound law suit against Mr Abramovich

‘I said “that’s great, such good news”. Then I came back later and saw him in the same state (as before).’

Asked by Mr Bedford to offer a suggestion to the cause of Mr Berezovsky’s death, Mr Navama replied: ‘I believe suicide.’

Michael Cotlick, Mr Berezovsky’s legal adviser, told the inquest the tycoon had spoken of suicide since October 2012 but he had not taken him seriously.

He said because he spoke of the matter to ‘almost everybody’ he did not think he would really do it.

Mr Cotlick, who had worked for the oligarch since 2005, said he was aware he was on anti-depressants but Mr Berezovsky had told him they were having adverse effects on his liver, so he stopped taking them days before he died.

He described how Mr Berezovsky fled Russia after falling out with the Kremlin and being the subject of arrest warrants

He was granted political asylum in the UK in September 2003.

Mr Cotlick confirmed his boss was an associate of KGB spy-turned-dissident Alexander Litvinenko, who died from radioactive polonium-210 poisoning in November 2006.

He said Mr Berezovsky survived a number of assassination attempts, including a car bombing which killed his chauffeur and left him seriously injured in 1994, and another that was foiled in summer 2007

Mr Berezovsky was on anti-depressants and spoke to ‘almost anybody’ about suicide, the inquest heard

But Mr Cotlick said that losing the case against Mr Abramovich made him less of a target as the damage to his reputation reduced his power and influence.

He said another big blow to his employer was when his partner Elena Gorbunova – who had sat at his side throughout much of his battle with Mr Abramovich – filed a financial claim against him which had the potential to financially ruin him.

Mr Cotlick said his friend changed his will nine days before his death, but also made several plans for meetings and appointments for after March 23.

The witness played down the significance of the private litigation with the Chelsea owner.

He said: ‘Nobody took the outcome of the Abramovich trial seriously. There’s only one explanation – that’s suicide. If somebody told me before that he would end his life, I would never believe it. Looking back on the past year, I think that’s the only explanation.’

Mr Berezovsky’s former wife, Ms Besharova, said she did not believe the businessman and politician would kill himself.

In a statement, Ms Besharova said she spoke with her ex-husband every day, including the evening before his death.

The pair had been due to speak on March 23, but Mr Berezovsky’s phone went to voicemail.

She said: ‘My former husband did not plan to kill himself. He knew my children were coming to the house (that weekend). I also cannot believe he would commit suicide. He’s suffered from depression and had lost a very high profile court case.’

She said the court action from Ms Gorbunova had prompted him to start taking medication for depression.

In a written statement, Ms Gorbunova said she had been in a relationship with Mr Berezovsky for 21 to 22 years but they had been going through a ‘commercial dispute over assets and finances’ before he died, which they hoped to settle outside of the courts.

She said they spoke on the phone for 20 minutes on the night before his body was found, mainly about their daughter.

Her statement said that, when she last saw him a week earlier, he had not given any indication that he would take his life but was aware of his depression.

 Policemen walk towards the house of Berezovsky in Ascot, Berkshire shortly after he was found dead. His was found by bodyguard Mr Navama

Medical professionals, in statements to police, spoke of Mr Berezovsky’s failure to keep appointments after initial consultation, particularly for psychological problems.

But they said that, when the tycoon did attend, there was not enough to suggest he could be sectioned under the Mental Health Act, the hearing was told.

Consultant psychiatrist Elza Eapen said, after a meeting following the conclusion of the Abramovich trial: ‘He described himself as depressed, and said the shock of losing the court case added to a number of stresses in his life.

‘Now he was destroyed and he no longer felt at risk. He said he went from being a billionaire to having nothing.’

Psychiatrist Dr Saeed Islam said Mr Berezovsky ‘perceived relentless pressure on him in terms of litigation and fear of losing those cases’.

He said he also spoke of ‘enemies in Russia who were trying to destroy him and make him homeless’.

Dr Islam told the inquest that Mr Berezovsky described feeling very low and told him: ‘I can’t see a way out.’

Roman Abramovich during the case. Mr Berezovsky was seeking £3billion in damages for alleged breach of trust and contract

But he said that although Mr Berezovsky had suicidal thoughts, he said it was not an option due to his Russian Orthodox beliefs and his family.

The inquest heard today how Mr Navama said he phoned the ambulance at around 3pm on March 23 after getting no response from his employer all day.

The bodyguard said he had concerns that Mr Berezovsky might have harmed himself based on previous talk of suicide.

He said he wanted a member of the emergency services with him if he was to make the discovery.

He told the hearing: ‘I worked with him for more than six years – I spent more time with him than my wife. I considered him family. I had a very bad feeling that he might have killed himself.’

Mr Navama said there were ’30 activities’ on Mr Berezovsky’s phone when he went to his room, and assumed he was locked in the bathroom.

After deciding to break down the door, the bodyguard said he found his employer ‘lying on his back’.

He told the hearing: ‘I checked to see if there was any kind of pulse.

‘I put my ear next to his mouth and was looking at his chest. I couldn’t find a pulse.’

The bodyguard added Mr Berezovsky’s body looked ‘very peaceful’.

The inquest heard after leading the paramedic to the body, Mr Navama was told they must leave the property due to a ‘radiation alert’.

He said the paramedic returned to his vehicle and sat inside with the windows closed.

Detectives told the inquest they have been unable to identify a fingerprint found on the shower rail in Boris Berezovsky’s bathroom, the coroner heard.

Officers have sent the images to agencies, including Interpol and the FBI, without success.

The coroner was told that Mr Berezovsky’s palm prints were found on the rail, where part of the ligature was attached.

They were unable to say how long the unidentified print had been on the rail.

Bodyguard Mr Navama said he returned inside and Mr Berezovsky’s ex-wife, Galina Besharova, had also arrived.

He said that when Ms Besharova saw the body she started shouting, calling out: ‘Why? Why? Why?’

Mr Navama said: ‘Then I realised that, okay, I need to step in. I didn’t want the children to see their father dead.’

Mr Bedford asked: ‘Any subsequent issue that he may have faked his own death and may have been alive and well somewhere is frankly preposterous, is it?’

The bodyguard said: ‘It’s impossible.’

Detective Inspector Mark Bissell, of Thames Valley Police, said the death was initially treated as ‘unexplained’.

Asked by the coroner if officers had reason to suspect foul play due to Mr Berezovsky’s position, Mr Bissell told the inquest that they took into account that he was a ‘high-profile individual’ and a ‘formidable and powerful businessman’ with ‘membership within the higher echelons of the political spectrum in Russia’.

Mr Bissell said that, due to the radiation concerns, the Atomic Weapons Establishment attended to examine the scene. But he said nothing was detected and it was discovered that the paramedic’s device was faulty.

Mr Bissell also confirmed that no suicide note was found at the scene.

He said analysis of Mr Berezovsky’s iPhone showed he did not text or email anyone about his intentions in the hours before his death, but wrote of looking forward to a pending trip to Israel.

The detective told the inquest that his team carried out ‘proportionate’ inquiries into subsequent claims that the oligarch was assassinated and that his death was faked, but nothing untoward was found and suicide was concluded.

He confirmed that Mr Berezovsky’s financial position was deemed to be ‘complicated’.

The inquest was adjourned until 10 am tomorrow.

‘I lean on alcohol when I’m depressed’: Brandi Glanville admits heavy drinking and taking prescription drugs during heated RHOBH reunion — (Daily Mail)

To view original article click here

Daily Mail

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 16:39 GMT, 25 March 2014

‘I lean on alcohol when I’m depressed’: Brandi Glanville admits heavy drinking and taking prescription drugs during heated RHOBH reunion

The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills star Brandi Glanville has opened up about her heavy drinking, depression – and even her sex life.

As the women of prestigious zip code 90210 were reduced to tears during the second reunion show on Monday night as their on-going fights continued, Brandi also spoke of her wilder lifestyle.

With Joyce Giraud once again accusing her of needing help for her drinking, Brandi insisted it was not a problem… but then did a complete 180 as she admitted she does ‘lean on’ booze.

And she also said it was brought on by depression that she happily admitted she is taking the drug Lexapro to battle.

Most colourfully, Brandi – the ex-wife of Eddie Cibrian, who left her for LeAnn Rimes – opened up about her sex life – insisting she has kept out of bed with current boyfriend Drew Carter to keep him keen.

‘I love Drew but he’s a baby and wants to settle down and have kids,’ the 41-year-old told host Andy Cohen as well as her castmates of the former NFL player, 32.

‘There’s nothing other than just making out and having fun. It’s not teenage make-out – it’s grown up make-out.’

Asked ‘how do you stop?’ she said: ‘Why do you think he still wants me? I know what I’m doing – it’s awesome!’

In her confessional mode, Brandi also admitted she’s done cosmetic ‘facial fillers’, saying: ‘And I’ve overdone it and thought, “Whoa, what happened?”

‘I don’t wanna have a facelift – I don’t wanna end up like that girl that got fired last year.’

When Andy told her ‘your cheeks look bigger every time I see you’, adding: ‘You look different to me’, she insisted: ‘They’re not. You can feel them – they’re my cheeks.’

The outspoken blonde also drilled home the point that her drinking is nowhere near as bad as it seems onscreen, with the cameras always catching them at social events and on vacation.

But she admitted: ‘Do I lean on it when I’m depressed or having a good time? Yes.

‘I’m not in the bathroom doing cocaine; I’m not in the car smoking pot – I like my wine. It is what it is.’

But the other housewives were not so dismissive.

Her close friend Yolanda Foster admitted she was ‘very uncomfortable’ with her pal’s drinking, while Joyce sparked a fresh war of words when she sniped: ‘I honestly think she has a problem.’

Brandi told Joyce she had no idea what it has been like for her having ‘five years being followed by paparazzi non-stop’ – leading to both women accusing each other of actually calling the photographers themselves.

‘Somebody told me that, yes, Brandi calls the paparazzi to have them waiting for her, and that that day she forgot because she got too wasted,’ Joyce insisted of a particularly unpleasant set of photos.

When Brandi insisted she had ‘never in my life called paparazzi’, Joyce just laughed.

The newcomer then got even more personal when she accused Brandi of using the victim card to justify her behaviour.

‘I think there’s a lot of single mothers out there having a really tough time putting even food on their children’s table,’ Joyce said.

‘And here is a gorgeous, successful woman playing the “poor me” card instead of saying, “God, thank you for all the blessings I have.”

‘I know and understand depression, but it comes to a point where if you’re depressed, you don’t need to try to pull everybody [down] with you.’

While Brandi and Joyce certainly made the most of the opportunity to air their dirty laundry during the reunion, they were far from the only ones embroiled in a heated fight.

Carlton Gebbia and Kyle Richards admitted they could never be friends, as they once again fought over Kyle asking if Carlton’s tattoo was of the Star Of David.

As Kyle called the Brit a ‘liar and a hypocrite’ and ‘a phony and a fraud’, Carlton hit back, saying: ‘And you’re a bigot.’

‘I’m not offended by the Star Of David – I’m offended by you,’ Carlton added.

‘The anti-Semitic remark is such a huge, horrific label to throw at anybody – to accuse them of being that – because I know what that word is all about,’ she continued.

‘It’s filled with so much hate. That you could even imagine that that was where I was coming from…’

Kim Richards also broke down in tears as she attacked Lisa Vanderpump in one of the angriest outbursts of the already tense night.

‘You’re full of s*** right now,’ Kim stormed. ‘And you’re a big liar. I don’t trust you with my shoe – I wouldn’t trust you with an old pair of socks.’

Of Lisa’s repeated claims that she had tried to be a good friend to Kim, the recovering alcoholic insisted: ‘I don’t remember you ever calling me. I don’t remember you once ever calling me in four years. Through my drinking, through my sobriety…’

It was then Lisa’s turn to get angry, this time over Kim calling her husband Ken Todd a ‘stubborn old man’.

‘I see Ken, how kind and caring he is. That’s the man I love. And to be so rude and so vicious and disrespectful,’ she said. ‘Ken is getting older – I thought it was just the most horrible thing to say.’

As Kim reiterated that she believes Ken has a ‘mean, snappy side to him’, Lisa angrily shot back:
‘My husband has been very supportive of you, and so have I, and this p***es me off.

‘Stop talking s*** behind his back when he’s not here.’

While plenty of tears were shed during the hour, not all of them were because of in-fighting between the women.

Kim and Yolanda welled up as they talked about the moments their children left home, with the women with younger children also getting choked up thinking about when it will happen to them.

‘I’m still letting her go – I’m still missing her every day,’ Kim said of her youngest daughter, Kimberly Jackson. ‘I miss her. Watching the goodbye that you never really wanna have.’

Meanwhile, Yolanda recalled: ‘Its an extraordinary experience. As a mum, you have 18 years with them and it seems gone in no time.

‘I get so emotional seeing it even though I’m so proud she’s in New York and kicking a*** and making a life for herself.’

She even blamed the emotion for getting mixed up about daughter Gigi Hadid’s biggest achievement in modelling.

‘She’s the new Victoria’s Secret Rookie Of The Year 2014,’ she said proudly, before being challenged by host Cohen.

‘No. Sports Illustrated. See, I’m not 100 per cent.’

Inquest hears of tragic end of dad-of-two; He is found close to death in stream — (The Free Library)

First Posted on

To view original article click here

The Free Library

May 18, 2013

A DAD-OF-TWO who died after vanishing was found semi-conscious in a stream, an inquest heard.

Anthony William McNamara, 52, of Throckley in Newcastle, died on September 14 just hours after being found in Throckley Dene near to his home.

He went missing the day before, leaving his wallets, keys and phone at the home his shared with his wife of 27 years Jacqueline.

The inquest, held in Newcastle, heard Mr McNamara had suffered spells of depression and had previously taken time off work because of it.

On the day he went missing Mr McNamara had been due to go to work and it was not until he did not return home his family raised the alarm.

The inquest, at Newcastle’s Civic Centre, heard evidence from PC Adelle Cockcroft who became involved in the search when Mr McNamara was reported missing.

She told how police investigating received information a man was lying in the dene.

“I attended the location and saw a male lying face up in the stream in a semi-conscious state,” she said.

She told the inquest how she pulled Mr McNamara out of the water with the help of colleagues but his breathing was very slow, his pulse was very faint and his body was very stiff and cold.

“He seemed to respond to voice, making grunting noises but was unable to speak or communicate,” she said.

PC Cockcroft also told the inquest on the opposite side of the bank she found a part drunk bottle of Sainsbury’s own brand Bourbon and an empty packet of anti-depressants.

CCTV footage revealed Mr Mc-Namara had purchased the alcohol from the Sainsbury store in Throckley earlier that day and the inquest heard the anti-depressants had been prescribed to him.

Mr McNamara, who had been diabetic for 10 years, was taken to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary but his body temperature was only 22 C and he died a short time later.

The inquest also heard from pathologist Nigel Kirkham who carried out the post-mortem examination.

He told the inquest alcohol and paracetamol were found in Mr McNamara’s blood but not enough to cause death but enough to impair his movements.

He said Mr McNamara would have died as a result of his low body temperature from lying in the water for a prolonged period of time.

The inquest also heard Mr Mc-Namara had been receiving treatment for depression from 2008 and had made a suicide attempt in January last year.

But the court also heard he had deeply regretted this and promised his family it would not happen again.

Coroner Karen Dilks recorded a narrative verdict and told the inquest she was not convinced there was enough to persuade her Mr McNamara has intended on taking his own life.

On giving her verdict, she said: “Mr McNamara died due to his own actions while suffering from depression.”

Man charged in death of girlfriend’s baby; child had mom’s antidepressants in her system — (The Republic)

To view original article click here


March 20, 2014 – 12:06 pm EDT

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A 31-year-old Sandy man has been charged after his girlfriend’s baby died with an antidepressant in her system.

Gene Richins was charged Wednesday with child abuse homicide after the 8-month-old baby’s death in August in West Valley City.

The mother told police she went to sleep after taking medication, and Richins attended to the baby. She woke the next morning to find the girl dead in her playpen.

Richins told police the girl was crying and he gave her some Tylenol from an oral syringe before putting her back to sleep.

Testing found both Tylenol and the drug Trazadone in the girl’s body and in the syringe.

The baby’s mother told police she kept the medication atop the refrigerator and didn’t think the girl could access it on her own.

Pennsylvania woman sentenced to 3 years in daughter’s death — (DelmarvaNow)

To view original article click here


 Mar. 20, 2014   |  

Written by Vanessa Junkin, Staff Writer

She’s no longer able to spend time doing any of those things, as the young girl was killed in a single-vehicle crash on the Route 13 bypass in Salisbury on Aug. 5, 2012.

Her mother, Tabitha Dobrzynski, 39, of New Kensington, Pa., was driving the Jeep that Sophia Dobrzynski was ejected from that day. On Thursday, Tabitha Dobrzynski was sentenced to three years in prison on a charge of criminally negligent manslaughter by vehicle.

Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Kristen Schultz, who read part of Sophia’s obituary in court Thursday, said the incident was tragic, and it resulted from Tabitha Dobrzynski’s choices.

Schultz said Tabitha Dobrzynski chose to take drugs, leave in the middle of the night, use a car that didn’t have enough seat belts for everyone and continue driving for a long period of time.

“It’s a tragedy that was completely of Ms. Dobrzynski’s creation and making,” Schultz said, referring to Tabitha Dobryznski.

Schultz also said she feels that Tabitha Dobrzynski “has shown no consciousness of guilt.”

Deputy District Public Defender Arch McFadden, who represents Tabitha Dobrzynski, asked that she be sentenced to a period of probation. He said Tabitha Dobrzynski’s minor record does not indicate she has a drug problem.

He also said she has lost her daughter.

When Tabitha Dobrzynski took an opportunity to speak in court, she was a little tough to understand as she spoke through tears.

“I’m just trying to get past everything,” she said as she spoke to Wicomico Circuit Court Judge Kathleen Beckstead.

Beckstead she felt there were various chances for Tabitha Dobrzynski to assess the situation and decide not to keep driving. She said she agreed with Schultz that probation would not be an effective option.

Three years is the maximum sentence on the criminally negligent manslaughter by vehicle charge; Beckstead also sentenced her to concurrent six-month sentences on four counts of driving while impaired by drugs while transporting a minor, for her four children who were passengers in the car.

In addition to finding Tabitha Dobrzynski guilty on those counts and an another count of driving while impaired by drugs in a bench trial in December, Beckstead found her not guilty of criminally negligent homicide by automobile.

Maryland State Police Trooper Mark Miller testified at Tabitha Dobrzynski’s December trial that she told him she’d taken two Vicodin at 5:30 a.m., and at 10 a.m., a Prozac, two Soma — a muscle relaxant — and oxycodone, he testified. She didn’t do well on sobriety tests, he said at the trial.

Sophia was the only one not wearing a seat belt, because that seat didn’t have one, Sophia’s brother, Charles Dobrzynski, testified at his mother’s trial.

McFadden said he will appeal the case.